Hypoglycemia Causes Night Sweating, Peeing, Insomnia and Anxiety

Overview

• anxiety is often caused by constant excess of adrenaline
  • hypoglycemia causes constant adrenaline release
  • hypoglycemia is very common problem but still doctors consider it as rare
  • emotional stress must be avoided in order to heal the body
  • nutrition is essential – magnesium, B-complex, lecithin, zinc, omega 3,6,9
  • hypoglycemic diet is the best way to heal
  • whey protein concentrate or isolate before sleep may greatly reduce the hypoglycemia during the night

There are so many people complaining about night sweats and waking up to go to pee. And most of them are almost ultimately without any clue what causes it.

When they go to see a doctor the answer they usually get is “anxiety” and less common answers are infection or even possibly some cancer. The major problem with that answer is that anxiety does not cause night sweats.

It is the hypoglycemia which causes anxiety as well as sweating.

If the doctors prescribe the antidepressants for suspected anxiety which is caused by adrenaline (due to hypoglycemia) the health can go just downhill. It may ease the anxiety but those drugs won’t do anything good for the real cause of anxiety and night sweats – for hypoglycemia.

Hypoglycemia symptoms:

• hunger (due to low blood sugar)
  • sleepiness (due to low glucose supply to the brain)
  • insomnia (due to adrenaline release)
  • waking up in the middle of the night (due to adrenaline release)
  • anxiety (constant adrenaline excess)
  • confusion and nervosity (actually OCD due to excess of adrenaline)
  • sweating (adrenaline)
  • anger and irritability (adrenaline)

Only the hunger and sleepiness are the two effects of hypoglycemia which are not directly caused by adrenaline. All the other symptoms of hypoglycemia are directly influenced by adrenaline production.

Reactive hypoglycemia is common

Reactive hypoglycemia is rampant and the natural response to low blood sugar is adrenaline release which brings the blood sugar up. The term “reactive hypoglycemia” describes the blood sugar drop to low levels within 4 hours after high-carbohydrate meal, where symptoms of hypoglycemia are present.

I can not understand how all the medical community pretends that hypoglycemia is a rare disorder? Are they crazy or what? Sure, most people with hypoglycemia never reach the blood glucose levels when they just drop on the floor and swinging their heads from side to side and mumble something. But that is just because the basal blood sugar levels their bodies are used to function are often higher than in normal healthy person (even though still in a reference range so they are not diagnosed as diabetics).

Do not get fooled by readings of blood sugar levels which are in normal range.

Reactive_hypoglycemia_graph

It is common with reactive hypoglycemia that people have (slightly) elevated basal blood sugar levels so the symptoms of hypoglycemia can set on much higher blood glucose levels than in healthy people.

For example if your basal (fasting) blood glucose levels are 5.7 mmol/L (102 mg/dL) or 6.0 mmol/L (108 mg/dL) the symptoms of hypoglycemia can be present at levels of 5.0 mmol/L (90 mg/dL). You don’t have to have the blood sugar levels at 3.5 mmol/L (63 mg/dL) when hypoglycemia symptoms arise in healthy people.

Keep in mind that the elevated fasting blood sugar levels have some cause. That cause is mostly insulin resistance which makes impossible for the body to feed the cells with glucose if there is just normal amount of glucose in the blood.

Weight loss due to hypoglycemia

So, if there is not enough of glucose supply from digestive tract (food) or glycogen the adrenaline is released in order to raise the blood glucose levels.

For example after heavy exercise there are no glycogen stores left but

You may also like...

13 Responses

1. Anon says:

Hi John. You said “”The key is protein; the higher needs for protein in people with hypoglycemia and eating standard diets may lead to weight loss due to protein deficiency. That is why quality protein supplement like whey protein concentrate (WPC) or whey protein isolate (WPI) may do wonders for those people.

High protein food or protein supplement before sleep may balance the blood sugar and make the sleep more refreshing due to avoiding the hypoglycemic state during the night.””

Are these whey proteins you mention just the standard protein powders that you mix up into a protein shake? Are you recommending 1 serving before going to bed? FYI, Although I am thin,I don’t have a problem with losing weight. But do have trouble getting to sleep and staying asleep.

• John says:

Yes, I talk about those like the bodybuilders use.

About 30 grams is one serving and you should buy good quality WPC or WPI with amino acid content of 75% or more.

Eating maybe 1 hour before sleep may help; it is just a myth to go to sleep with an empty stomach!

• Dee says:

Hi John,
        Have insomnia sleep problems and distruptions. Like getting up to pee 3 times during the night,. I find it hard to go to sleep, and waking up in the middle of the night, because I have high cortisol and glucose at night. Is there anything I can take. Right now I tried all the relaxing sleep teas, take Seriphos, Gaba and l-tryptophan, and melatonin. Still I wake up and do not get enough sleep. I am 68 yrs. old. I am a petite thin person so have no need to lose weight. Are there any natural supplements I can take to heal this cortisol problem. Thanks for your help.

Dee

• John says:

High cortisol is probably due to hypoglycemia and high glucose is because there is probably insulin resistance caused by inflammation.

I mean – there is not a cortisol problem. There is probably hypoglycemia/insulin resistance and that is what may be causing high cortisol.

Dental infections – infected teeth (and root canals) – very often cause the inflammation which leads to insulin resistance and insulin resistance leads to hypoglycemia.

Or inflammation may be caused by endotoxins from the small intestine. Read my posts about bile flow – artichoke leaf, lecithin, B-complex, bile acids…

What are the basic supplements for hypoglycemia?:
          – B-complex – Jarrow B-Right
          – chromium
          – magnesium

But as I said, hypoglycemia is insulin resistance caused usually by inflammation induced by endotoxins.

• Maggie McCall says:

Hi, I do hope you do not think I am interfering. I think the above post is spot on. I just wanted to say what helped me to sleep, and that is orange juice, not a huge amount, with 1/2 a Tsp of Himalayan salt in, and 2 ml of ionic magnesium Chloride. I have this by the bed at night and when you wake for a pee in the night have a few sips , enough to send you back to sleep. also have some just before you go to bed, have some sips every time you go to bed, . Apart from obviously trying to sort out your inflammation. Hope this helps.

2. Michelle says:

You mentioned above that 30 grams is one serving-would this also be the same for my daughter who is almost 11 and weighs 85 lbs? I am hoping that something like this would help her bed wetting.

• John says:

The RDA for protein is established at 0.8 grams per 1 kg (2.2 lbs) of body weight. People who train a lot like bodybuilders or some athletes have their protein intake at 2 grams per 1 kg of body weight or even higher.

We are talking about the daily protein intake in foods (meat, eggs, milk,…) + supplements (protein shakes) together. So 100 kg athlete does NOT drink 200 grams of protein powder daily.

The Whey Protein Concentrate or Whey Protein Isolate supplements have about 72-85% of protein per weight. The rest is sugar (lactose), fat (from milk) and additives.

For 85 lbs person according to the RDA the total amount of protein per day would be 30 grams. This amount of protein is in about 40 grams of whey protein concentrate/isolate.

If I was 85 lbs person I would take 20 grams of protein powder which contains about 15 grams of pure protein.

3. Rosemary says:

At nearly 60 now, if I have ‘any’ drink after 9pm, its guaranteed to get me up for a pee in the night. why is this pls? If I were to follow your suggestion and drink HP shakes, I would be up have the night with disturbed sleep rhythms

• John says:

Wake up to go to pee is something else than wake up due to hypoglycemia induced adrenaline release and spasms in urinary bladder.

You can try to eat protein containing food before sleep so it does not have to be necessarily the protein shake.

And protein shake (30 grams of powder) can be mixed in just as little as 100 ml of water so you can minimize the need to pee during the sleep. And still you can try drink the shake before 9pm.

4. Sally says:

Hi John will nuts do the job to keep us asleep? Ive had stress and insomnia for ten years.not slept through the night for ten years and trying hard to fix

• John says:

The best way to find out is to eat some and you will know.

Some people need to eat starches before sleep and some will do fine with protein shake or nuts.

It really depends on many factors including the digestive capabilities – how fast the food is digested, how much enzymes is your body able to produce, how much you will eat,…

Generally I consider whey protein concentrate and isolate as the great supplements because a lot of people today are protein deficient. Amino acids found in whey protein are crucial for whole body and all functions.

That is why the sleep may significantly improve not just immediately that night but also a few weeks (2-3 weeks) later as the body gets the missing amino acids and re-start the processes which were down-regulated due to amino acids deficiency.

5. Asia says:

Do metformin is helpful in the early treatment of the hypoglycemia?

• John says:

I do not know what you mean by “treatment”? I am not a doctor so I can not say you if it is helpful.

There is not 1 case of hypoglycemia worldwide that would be caused by metformin deficiency so I would say that metformin can not cure hypoglycemia.

If anything it might cause hypoglycemic episodes (even though less often than some of the other diabetic drugs).

Metformin suppresses the glucose production in the liver and this has nothing to do directly with hypoglycemia caused by endotoxins, TNF-alpha and inflammation.

Resolving the cause of inflammation like deficiencies and infections (tooth decays and root canals, SIBO) and avoiding the emotional stress is I believe the only surefire way to recovery from chronic health issues.

In some cases and in some health problems the drugs are very effective during the recovery so I am not against their use without any exception. But as I said I am not a doctor so I am not saying to anybody to take the drugs or not to take them.